When my daughter finished college and moved to Durham, she bought her first home. Man, it was difficult to see her go and scary to see her on her own. I helped her find a home inspector I had known through a volunteer project from some time back. He told me he would NOT allow his daughter to buy a home without suggesting an inspection, but he never gave me his card or asked me to choose him. At the time, he did not even ask where she was buying and did not express any interest.
When I called him for a suggestion as an inspector in Durham, turns out he covers that area and he volunteered! Chris came and looked the home over for us twice during the construction process, and then at the end. His prices were reasonable, but I was concerned I was wasting the effort...
- he was able to point out a potential fire hazard in the fireplace installation
- he pointed out a severe plumbing problem
- he noted an electrical problem
The builder certainly was not pleased to know we had had a thorough inspector. "It passed code inspections!", after all...
Later, after the house was completed but before closing, there was a problem with the water and a worker inadvertently left the water on in the upstairs tub overnight! The resulting disaster required additional repairs, but the builder seemed to think it would only take a day or so.
** Not true, as Chris pointed out on a FREE EMERGENCY INSPECTION visit! **
- The upstairs flooring had to be replaced, as did the carpet in the hall and one room.
- The ceiling below had to be ripped out, then the wood was treated with a mildew-cide/fungicide chemical
- The walls had to be ripped out of the dining room, as did the wall insulation and carpet.
- This area was also treated.
- The disaster was left to dry for several days, then all of the repairs were made.